Certified Phlebotomy Technician
Under constant and direct supervision of the Lab Supervisor and the Lab Leads, performs phlebotomy, heel, and finger sticks. Operation and preventive maintenance of POC lab equipment. Excellent and effective communication with laboratory customers and problem resolution. Perform other duties as assigned. This is a full-time position Monday to Friday. The position requires working with pediatric and OB patients as primary population.
Essential Functions of the Job:
- Demonstrate skills and abilities by following the guidelines in venipuncture, heel, and finger stick.
- Have knowledge skills in basic collection and specimen preparation storage and disposal of specimen according to Lab procedure Manuals.
- Perform Quality control and testing of Point of Care CLIA Waived test according to Lab Procedure Manual.
- Basic computer literacy to meet department needs and duties but not limited to order entry, cancellation, and results tracking.
- Performs other clerical duties in reporting results and distribution in a timely manner.
- Ability to multitask, flexible, ensures accuracy and completeness of work, adaptable to change to meet department and business needs.
- Accountable and requires minimal direction and supervision and maintain good working relationship with employees, coworkers, and departments.
- Maintenance and keeping workstation, furnishings, equipment clean, supply inventory up to stock level. Assist in checking daily temperature and recording.
- Possess personal characteristics of professionalism, credible commitment to high standards with excellent communication skills; effectively and clearly communicate verbally and in writing with patients and other customers.
- Additional Duties and Responsibilities:
- Adhere to the established departmental policies and objectives, quality assurance program, safety, environmental and infection control standards.
- Must be willing to work overtime.
- May require traveling to other lab sites as needed.
- Attend and participate in meetings as required, maintain current continuing education and professional licensure. Additional duties as assigned.
Education Required (Minimum level of education):
- High School or equivalent
- Phlebotomy Certification – Current California State Phlebotomy Licensure Current Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) Certificate
- Preferred: Current Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare Providers.
- Current valid CA driver’s license and access to vehicle with appropriate insurance coverage required.
Experience Required (Minimum level of experience):
- Six months medical laboratory experience as a Certified Phlebotomy Technician (CPT) Proficient in medical terminology.
- Basic computer literacy.
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements
- Exposed to odorous chemicals and specimens subject to varying and unpredictable situations.
- Exposed to infection from disease-bearing specimens and patients. Frequent prolonged standing and walking.
- Occasionally, subjected to irregular hours. Carrying and/or lifting 0-20 lbs.
- Bending, kneeling, climbing, and pulling 0-10 lbs., repetitive use of hands, sample grasping, reaching body and hand twisting.
- Driving from one clinic to another clinic.
- Wearing protective personal equipment, such as, gloves, face shield, lab coats, and goggles.
- Working around lab equipment, such as, centrifuge and office equipment.